Thursday, October 25, 2012

Goose Island, Sam Adams, and My Brews

First, I would like to say that I have successfully brewed my second batch of beer!!! YAY!

My Pumpkin Milk Stout is currently hanging out in my fridge just waiting to be enjoyed.

I would like to let you all know what ingredients I used in my Pumpkin Stout:

Malt & Specialty Grains
Light DME
Black Patent Malt
Caramel 40L
Flaked Oats

Hops
Northern Brewer
Kent Goldings

Yeast
Nottingham Ale Yeast

And here are the ingredients I used for my Irish Red Ale:

Malt & Specialty Grain
Gold Liquid Malt Extract
Caramel 40L
Special B
Roasted Barley Special Grain

Hops
Cascade
Fuggle

So far I have to say that I like my Ale a little more. I added spices to my stout but they are not as pronounced as I would have liked them to be. I think I will use actual pumpkin puree the next time I brew it.


Now on to my reviews.... 

Goose Island - Sophie (Belgian Ale)

Pour: Clear like apple juice. Yellow tinted with no head.
Smell: Fruity and sweet like grapes. A touch citrusy.
Taste: Sweet. Similar to a cider or a fruit beer.

Sam Adams - Harvest Pumpkin Ale

This beer was brewed with pumpkin and spices and comes in at 5.7%.

Pour: Translucent and filtered, it pours an amber/maple color with a nice, rich, foamy head.
Smell: Intense notes of pumpkin and brown sugar.
Taste: Very strong pumpkin and maple flavors with an oaky finish. This is a full flavored beer.

Sam Adams - Fat Jack (Imperial Pumpkin Ale)

This imperial ale comes in 8.5% next to its 5.7% child.

Pours: Deep brown/mahogany and slightly translucent.
Smell: Smooth notes of nutmeg and pumpkin.
Taste: Loud cinnamon characteristics. This beer is even more flavorful then the Harvest Pumpkin.


Until next time. Happy Drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment